Sunday, September 10, 2006

Iced Cream Review: Ben & Jerry's American Pie

I've enjoyed my share of fine iced creams (as should be apparent) and rarely have I been let down by the two Gentlemen of Vermont. Now on some level it's impossible to be truly "let down" by ice cream, I mean, it's ice cream, and Ben and Jerry do it well. But there's something(s) literally missing in their American Pie limited flavor.

It's exactly what it says--apple pie-flavored ice cream with chunks of apple pie--but come, Ben, Jerry, you're Ben and Jerry. You don't just put apple pie and ice cream together and call it a limited edition. Humankind has been doing that for at least three years, if not longer. I guess I'm looking for more. Crunchy cobbler-type stuff mixed in with the pie. Swirls of cinnamon-caramel. I dunno, Frosted Flakes. The carefully-rationed ashes of Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper. Okay, not that. But something.

Apparently, a percentage of proceeds from the American Pie flavor go to a reading program or programs, so by all means buy it for that if you like, but if you're looking for an iced cream worthy of the Van Gogh-like creative madness that gave us Chubby Hubby, you'd be better off sending the kids a check and hitting that Phish Food.

No comments: